I had an experience recently that opened my eyes to a kind of transcendence of the self. Some call it self-realization, ego-death or awakening. It’s difficult to even write about because it was not a conscious, reality based experience. In fact I’ve been waiting to publish this because I wanted to give myself time to internalize it before typing up my notes. I also plan on meditating on each of these for further insights and internalization.
I would say this was unequivocally one of the most powerful experiences of my life. I’m not kidding when I say that many of these realizations opened up life for me in ways that I never dreamed would be possible.
That being said, I’m not a meditation teacher or a spiritual guide, and I’m not going to advise you on how to achieve this yourself. Each person’s path is different and what’s right for one person is not right for another. But I want to share the realizations I had as a result of this experience and organize them so I can return to these powerful truths.
Remember, this information came to me in a state that was outside of my normal waking consciousness. Take each bit of information with either a grain of salt or a gold ingot depending on whether or not it speaks to your soul. And no, there were no recreational drugs involved. This was a meditative, solo, soul-seeking journey designed to help me break through the conscious and subconscious barriers that were keeping me grounded in a reality I didn’t like.
The notes that follow were written in my notebook directly after this transcendental journey (which I meditated for over an hour before beginning to prepare for and to sow the mental seeds for the questions I wanted answers to). Note: Everything within bold text or parenthesis was added at the time of this publication to organize / clarify.
Inner Peace (Presence) & Fear
- Inner peace = presence.
- There is inner peace. It’s really special. It’s nowhere to reach because it’s inside of you; you must go to it.
- It’s more powerful than fear.
- To escape fear return to presence.
- My biggest fear is being scared and lonely and not knowing what to do.
- There is no dark place within you. You do not go there, you only create dark energy if you allow yourself to become it.
- There is no future / then. There is only presence. And it’s not present, but presence. Not a place, but the ritual of living in the now.
- You can find love and inner peace in a hopeless place.
- We can only BE in the present/presence.
Inner & Outer Reality
- The inner and the outer reality are really two different things. You can be a master to the inner or a slave to the outer.
- The outer world is false.
- The soul perceives. We’ve just been taught to believe that the outer world is true. It’s not real vs. fake, (inner and outer) but true vs. false.
- Personality can be the construct of the outer or the reality of the inner.
- Doubt is stupid <- Outer.
- Ask if what you are feeling is outer or inner. All worry / fear is outer.
Love / Reality
- Love is the only real thing. It’s in everything.
- Beauty isn’t real. Only the truth is beautiful / Pure love.
- We’re all connected, but we’re connected only by love. Our different realities separate us.
- We all create our own realities. We cannot allow ourselves to get sucked into the reality of another. I am the creator of my reality.
Moments & Memories
- Memories are like the cool side of the pillow. Use them that way – for good.
- Beautiful moments won’t last forever. Enjoy them.
- Doing something cannot make us happy, only we can make happiness. It’s the universe’s illogical truth.
Inner Voice / Thoughts
- All the ‘voices’ in you (i.e., the cynic, the bummer, the achiever), you created them and you shape them. (Interesting addition to the quote: “The way you speak to your children becomes their inner voice”.)
Appearance / Behavior
- The way we present ourselves (appearance) is a choice merely to make us feel good based on how we feel the outer world perceives us.
- Behavior is how we react to the present.
- When a door opens in life, you mustn’t be afraid to enter it or you will never enter it. (This is a great compliment to the Benjamin Button quote: “Our lives are defined by opportunities; even the ones we miss.“)
The Body: Pain & Relaxation
- Tenseness is held in the body. (relax the body)
- Pain in the body represents body held / world held (outer reality?) pain. It is not inside of you (inner reality?).
Creating & Achieving (Trusting For The Future)
- Reality is just something you create.
- The future is only as uncertain as our present action is allowing it to be. Shape it all.
- (Q: How do you make decisions?) (A:) You decide / make decisions based on what you want the future outcome to be.
- (Q: How do you decide what you want your future outcome to be?) (A:) YOU DESIGN IT.
- (Q: How do you design it?) (A:) You cultivate your tastes, explore, imagine, self-inquiry. DISCOVER.
- (How do you know if something is the right thing, in terms of life designing?) You know what you like.
- Realization will come when you need it. (The fairy godmother of the soul ;)
Update: For anyone interested in their own transcendental journey, I’m not recommending you should load the universe into a cannon aim at brain and fire – but a Cocktail for The Soul is a great jumping off point and was a huge part of the experience for me.